This course is designed for individuals interested in teaching the 10- and 30-hour Maritime safety and health Outreach Training Program to their employees and other interested groups. Special emphasis is placed on those topics required in the 10- and 30-hour Outreach Training Program as well as the most hazardous in the maritime industry using OSHA Maritime Standards as a guide. Students are briefed on effective instructional approaches and use of visual aids and handouts. This course allows the student to become a trainer in the Outreach Training Program, to conduct 10- and 30-hour maritime classes in shipyard employment, marine terminals, and longshoring, and to issue cards to participants after verifying course completion. Students in OSHA #5400 Trainer Course in OSHA Standards for the Maritime Industry who wish to participate as authorized Outreach Trainer Program trainers in the OSHA Outreach Training Program must successfully prepare a presentation on an assigned OSHA maritime industry Outreach Training Program topic individually or as part of a group and successfully pass a written exam at the end of the course.
- Students must successfully complete the OSHA #5410 Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Maritime Industry no longer than seven years prior to registering for the trainer course.
- Have five years of maritime industry safety experience. Please note that “working safely” in the industry does not meet the safety experience requirement.
A bachelor’s degree (or higher) in occupational safety and health, a Certified Safety Professional (CSP), a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), or a Certified Marine Chemist (CMC) designation may be substituted for two years of work related experience.
Authorized OSHA Outreach Training Program trainers are required to attend an OSHA #5402 Maritime Industry Trainer Update Course at least once every four years to maintain their trainer status. The OSHA #5400 Trainer Course in Occupation Safety and Health Standards for the Maritime Industry may also be used to maintain a trainer’s authorized status.
To Apply:In order to register for this course, you must apply using your legal name. (To update the name associated with your account, go to your account.)
You must also satisfy the course prerequisites. See the “Prerequisites” section above for more information.
- Prerequisite verification forms must be submitted under the account of the person wishing to take the course. They cannot be submitted on behalf of another person.
- Download the prerequisite verification form. Once you have filled it out completely, log in or create an account to upload the form along with any required attachments.
- You will be contacted by email if you are approved to register.